Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Currently Lost in Richmond

That is currently lost in Richmond the city, not The Richmond, a neighborhood. I'm staying in a house edged between two freeways, with my city shimmering in the distance like OZ. In the evenings I run along the water, outrunning my demons and the past. On the way, I say hello to Lindsay at the Richmond Field Station, sitting rocking in her studio, now vacant. I greet the voles from Bio IB, especially the one I found dead in the trap in the rainstorm one night. I pass myself, walking with a bottle of wine and howling at Arnaud in that glittering city across the Bay. The wind agrees. At last I reach the look-out and salute the sky on my favorite hillock, barren except for dry grass and some boulders. Old factories decay across the way, remnants of another bellicose time. I might do a little dance to the music running through my head, a bow, a turn, a final wave, then run back to the solitude of the small house surrounded with freeways and filled with cats.

No comments: